Default welcome msg!

 
Join our mailing list
Home  /  Our Story

Our Story

Hayek’s Market opened in 1939, starting on Spring Street in Newton, with the name “Premier Food Market.” Elias Hayek moved the family from Clifton, and the market quickly became a thriving cornerstone in Newton! In 1941, a fire caused the original location to be unsuitable, and the store moved to the Hotel Newton building.

In 1955, Elias Hayek retired, leaving his sons George and Mitchell Hayek to take over the family business, continuing the strong family tradition of excellent service and delicious foods! In 1962, the brothers purchased Sussex Hotel, demolished the old building, and rebuilt! In 1963, Hayek’s Market opened at its current location. The business fared well over the years, needing an addition to keep up with the demands of the business. In 1988, Mitchell retired, and George’s son Dan bought his share of the business. In 1991, George Hayek retired, leaving the store to Dan his wife, Denise. The family business was remodeled and expanded in 2013, providing more room for perishable goods, a larger deli and kitchen, a bakery, and an ice cream parlor!

Since taking over Hayek’s, Dan and Denise have made some great changes. He’s kept the decades-long tradition of high-quality customer service, while revamping the deli with new recipes to keep customers interested. A new patio was added, the parking lot was reconfigured with new lighting, and expanding their menus. The couple has two children, so the family business may just continue into a fourth generation!

Today, Hayek’s Market is much more than a grocery store. Our fine selection of grocery items, deli meats, bakery delicacies, ice cream, and catering menus speak to our commitment to quality and taste. We plan to keep this business alive for many generations, and we hope to see you there!